Tuesday, June 26, 2007

oh.my.

*mildly altered on 7.13 as I've decided I didn't need to be an asshole to the other Mr. Cunningham, whom I don't know, have never met, and have no ill-intention towards. my stance on over-wrought academic MFA crap remains unchanged.*

um, please don't ever confuse this guy with me. the name thing is goddamn hilarious.

anyway, to compare and contrast, here is a new one I wrote for my sister and her man, on the occasion of their tattooed, rock and roll union:

without harmony, no music

sunlight
races down
Southern streets.

it cuts across fractured glass
and illuminates
some of the
dark spaces.

it
shines on
rosewood fret boards and pearl inlay,
brightens color and ink,
clears a space for music to breathe,
makes a home for vibration and song.

light and shadow, daylight
and stars,
roses, iron and the right
combination of
high and low notes
working together.

without harmony,
no music.

when you seek
the perfect note,
you endure hours
of mistakes,
you court dissonance and
discord;

this is the price of hope.

it takes patience
and time to
wade thru a
masquerade of noise,
to navigate the
endless static.

and in the end,
it takes
a cacophony of
strings bending and breaking
until
finally

you hear the note.

you hear the chord.

you hear the symphony.

you hear music.



cunningham
07

12 Comments:

Blogger kav said...

Oh my God!
I have never seen a more blatent/shitty rippoff than those poems! The guy is completely stealing Zbigniew Herbert's style, and ruining it! He even took the Mr. Cogito thing! Dear God! I'm seriously perturbed!

2:03 AM  
Blogger j.b said...

who?
Zbigniew? christ, Kav, you are easily the most well-read person in the world. i swear you sometimes just make up names, then i google it and find out they're real....insane.

and not only that, you actually remember everything. holy hell. i fear for the future of our civilization once you mature and unleash your inhuman intellect upon the world... :)

5:11 PM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

no doubt. kav, do you sleep? I believe you go into a comatose-like state and somehow absorb the written word like a freakish plant-sponge. and for anyone who can't bother the Great Gazoogle, go here to read a couple of ol' ZB's pomes...

5:31 PM  
Blogger kav said...

Herbert is probably my very favorite Polish poet ever... very, very few poets can make you laugh out loud AND want to cry in the same poem. And then pseudo-Chris completely rips him off without credit, and then does it that shittily. I really don't like the fake Chris Cunningham.

Oh, and Chris, to answer your question: no, I do not sleep. I aquire my energy through a process sort of like photosynthesis, except as I'm never outside, I have to use the glow of the computer screen as I poesy away into the morning...

6:30 PM  
Blogger j.b said...

you favorite Polish poet? you mean there's more than one?

haha...i'm gonna check out some of ZB's words...right now.

1:48 PM  
Blogger kav said...

Sure man. The most famous is probably Czeslaw Milosz. He was fucking incredible.

Check out Richard Tylman or Adam Zagajewski, if you're interested. They're both brilliant too. I think Tylman paints. I'm sure you can Google Polish poetry and find a lot more, maybe better ones that I don't know about yet.

Lemmee know whatchoo think'f Herbert.

1:23 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

hello dogatemypoem.

feel free to comment.

11:36 PM  
Blogger M.D.G. said...

Where'd you guys get those pretty fists? you must be revolutionaries or somethin huh? Well I would never be revolutionary enough to hang with your cool crew, but Mr Cogito should stay in his own yard and maybe there won't be any trouble.

12:12 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

who is mr cogito?

what trouble?

what the hell are you talking about?

12:53 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

oh I see. I don't comment over at your site, OW. you do your thing, I think you do decent work. and I'll visit whenever I please.

also, I always sign my own name to what I write. I don't hide behind initials, anonymous, or funny little fake names like you children.

you should get sitemeter or something, then you could track down this dastardly Cogito and really give him "what for..."

1:23 AM  
Blogger M.D.G. said...

We did track his IP address and that why I am here. No more comments for me. I've taken a vow of silence

1:40 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

what the fuck are you talking about?

I sign my name, asshole, which is more than you can say.

I just left an actual comment over there at your site, glover or whomever you are.

signed, just for you.

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>