Monday, December 11, 2006

a new poem...

fresh from a few minutes ago (I anticipate writing a book's worth on this particular subject):

winter notes; for Cynthia

as thin wisps of silver
climb
the edges of my brain,
my memory slips
so I have to write
some things down:

the swarm of starlings
over the midtown
skyline
in the pure purple orange
of a cold winter sunset;

how several distinct flocks
blurred together
then
were torn apart
into dappled shadows
and negative space
in the
watercolor light;

how you pointed them out
from beside me
before I could miss a chance
at
forging another memory;

how the scene became faint
as
the darkness came on;

how later
while we slept
I awoke
when you covered me
with a blanket.

"you were shivering,"
you said.

and if I
didn't say it then:

thank you.

for
everything.


cunningham
06

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Luis said...

fine words chris.

11:29 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

thank you lcb. sixteen years and counting....

and as long as she keeps her mouth shut and the food cooked she can continue hanging around my genius.

5:10 PM  
Blogger j.b said...

ha!

very fine words...the love poem will never get old (or, at least, the finely written one).

17 years with the woman and i. since we were 17....so, i understand...the love changes with time...some say it grows, not sure if that is an apt description, but it definitely changes...here's to the changes being for the good!

well done.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Chicago Dave said...

That poem just kicks ass. I have no other way of describing it.

Keep kicking, Christopher.

3:37 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

thanks everyone.

I appreciate the kind words.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>