Saturday, August 26, 2006

a year later...

I mean, really; you see that counter to the right? over $300 billion (a goodly portion of which is missing or stolen) spent to prosecute a murderously illegal war resulting in the deaths of thousands and thousands of innocent Iraqis as well as over 2600 American soldiers now caught in a bloody civil war while an American city, hell, an American region has been left to rot. how wonderful that small businesses have been wrecked, homes are being bulldozed and everyone is struggling while a government that did as little as possible, is still dragging its feet (and always spinning, spinning, spinning).

what have you done for New Orleans? have you helped? how about the New Orleans Musician's Relief Fund or the many artist relief links at the Tipitina's Foundation or (where my chapthology donation is going, and different from the previous NOMRF) the New Orleans Musician's Hurricane Relief Fund or you could Google your brains out looking for worthy places to put your time, money and energy (and this from below is a fun way to let the prez know you remember).

please do so. and in the comments, I'm interested in hearing your stories of New Orleans. thanks.

UPDATE:

C. Allen Rearick mentioned collecting some New Orleans poems in the post below (and wrote a great poem) and though he is insane, sometimes madmen transmit a good idea. I am going to put a chap together that will blow your mind. then sell it. then donate $500 (50 copies at $10/copy). not much, but something, and more later if possible. and it will be the first offical release from Savage Heavens Press.

so if you are a poet (and don't mind potential rejection), send me via email your best Nawlins poems. lemme know your thoughts.

6 Comments:

Blogger H. said...

I'm in, man. Always.

4:41 PM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

thanks hosh. it's gonna be purty.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Luis said...

This is a good idea, and I'm also willing to donate 10 of my books (Raw Materials). At 10 bucks each, I'll pay for the postage.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Luis said...

The $10.00 for each book will go to the New Orleans musician's relief fund.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being so excited about heading to New Orleans for some late summer fun at Krewe of Oak with Bruce and Alice-Anne. We did have alot of fun, but as I flew into New Orleans that weekend, I knew there was a possibility that a major hurricane would soon hit the city and (at most) cause me to come back a day or so late. I thought "who cares...so I'll miss a little work and see what it's like to be in the midst of a big storm."

Looking back on it all, we had our share of fun Saturday night and well into Sunday morning. Around 8:30AM the next morning, Alice-Anne woke us. With heavy eyes and pounding heads, we discussed the options for the now mandatory evacuation: 1. Stay at another house in mid city which was elevated. 2. do battle with thousands of other slackers on the roads. 3. superdome.

Ultimately, we chose option 2 and packed up Bruce's Mitsubishi (ray-ray). We left the eerily quiet city around 11:30. All we had were hangovers, some water, some food and whatever else we crammed into the back of that damn truck.

A few hundred miles and about 12 hours later, we rolled into Atlanta. The next morning we began to watch the horrific events unfold in New Orleans. Drawn in by the coverage, days turned into weeks. Weeks into months. And now...the months have flown by to form a year. In that year, much has changed for everyone.

In light of it all, I look forward to enjoying one of the best places on the planet sometime soon.

And I'll finally send this damn trumpet to the Tips foundation so they can give it to someone who can blow it, like this guy can.

http://www.basinstreetrecords.com/artists/kermit-ruffins.html

peace...from and old Touch fan...

12:59 AM  
Blogger christopher cunningham said...

from an old TOUCH fan, eh?

bruce irino, eh?

a great story. narrow escapes and one of the most soul crushing things I've ever witnessed. I still can't believe it.

I wish I could figure out who the hell you are, Touchfan. my brains ain't what they once were, all the poetry has corrupted me to the point of madness...

glad to hear from you, and thanks for the comment.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>